Church Youth & Families Leader
This is a part-time (0.4-0.5fte) position, funded for three years in first instance, with a starting salary within Point 9-14 on JNC Youth & Community Worker Scale (20,865- £25,729 per annum, pro rata: 0.4fte = £8,346 – £10,292)
Closing date for applications: 12 midday on September 30th 2021
We are an active church in a village 6 miles from Oxford and jointly run a Youth Group (Pulse) for 11–16-year-olds. We wish to extend what we offer to them, to support their families, and build up the church’s work in this area of its mission.
The job will involve leading, inspiring and encouraging outreach to young people and their families, enabling and empowering young people to explore ideas, have fun and build relationships. Beginning with the young people who come to the inter-church Youth Group Pulse (aged 11-16, where the leadership is shared with Wheatley Community Church) you will help us reach out to the growing number of young people, their friends and families who may have no church background, assess what support is needed, and provide it wherever possible, together with volunteer members of the Youth team.
The role will include:
- Developing and overseeing the URC’s commitment to the Pulse Youth Group, including building trusted networks between the young people and the leaders and with each other, through activities such as games, exploration of life and faith issues, study and worship events.
- Helping organise suitable opportunities for young people, encouraging them to attend conferences and camps, and suitable Christian festivals such as Greenbelt or Spring Harvest.
- Developing alternative (non-Sunday) activities (including or mid-week worship where appropriate) and encouraging children, young people and their families to actively participate in these activities.
- Offering regular networking events to parents, who often find themselves unsupported when their children reach secondary school age and they no longer meet each other at the school gate.
- Liaising with the URC Synod’s Children and Youth Development Officer in developing programmes, and in providing development and training for Assistant Youth Leaders
- Ensuring that the needs and concerns of young people and their families remain a priority in the church and encourage prayer and support
- Working closely with our partners in Wheatley Community Church’s youth team with whom Pulse is co-led, to ensure that their activity augments rather than duplicates initiatives.
- Entitlement to 28 days (pro rata) of annual leave (inclusive of bank holidays).
- Progressive pay scale with annual pay rises on JNC Youth and Community Worker Scale
- Enrolment into the NEST Pension scheme.
- Enhanced DBS Check paid for by Wheatley URC
In accordance with the Equalities Act 2010 Part 1; Schedule 9, there is a genuine occupational requirement that the post holder be a Christian. The post is also subject to an enhanced DBS check.
For further information, including arranging an informal conversation with the Project Team, please contact the church secretary.